Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Personal Reflection (post 4)

March 15th, 2013, my Grandma, Grace Rowley Cox passed away surrounded by her nine kids in the small hospital room in southern Utah. This last week we went down for the viewing and burial. It was odd to think I'd never see my small sweet Grandma walking up across the porch to open the screen door. I would never lay on the porch swing and listen to her tell the stories of my grandpa and when she was young. She was exactly her name, graceful in everything she did.
Preparing for the viewing and talking to the huge family, most of which I have't even met, as she had 43 grandkids and 74 great grandkids, I put on my suit and favorite tie. I love decking out in the nicest things I have, but this time it was more somber. Walking around the small funeral home, doing and talking to everyone I can to delay having to go look into the open casket as long as I can, I was told all about how she would always talk about me. I was told she would never worry I would do great things and go far. I know this is a long winded and rambly way to say this, but I know with her and my grandpa watching over me, I'll work my best to reach my goals and dream. Nothing is stopping me.

2 comments:

  1. Taylor,

    I didn't know this was the reason for the post. I'm sorry for your loss.

    I enjoyed amidst the sadness of death, the image of you walking around smarkily in your suit. And surrounded by so many cousins and family members. And the belief that Grandpa and Grandma Cox will always bless you no matter what.

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could totally make this into an essay or memoir. Things that are close to you are the best things to write about.

    Your voice here is really down-to-earth. Thanks so much for sharing a little bit of what you feel with the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete